The HJF Library Strategic Plan 2013
The concept of what a library is and does has changed rapidly with the disruption of new technology and methods for locating, creating and communicating information and knowledge. It is vital that libraries acknowledge these recent changes as well as the fact that the future will continue to change rapidly. Our new mission statement, guiding principles and focus areas will guide us in creating a valuable experience that supports our local community with unique services while allowing us to maintain flexibility so we can adapt our services on a moment's notice as technology, information and higher education evolve.
The mission of the HJF Library is to enhance the educational experience and promote a desire for lifelong learning through the facilitation and support of knowledge creation, collaboration and discovery.
- Creating a Unified HJF Morningside Experience
- Building a Culture of Learning, Collaboration and Innovation
- Forming Campus and Community Partnerships
Focus 01: Internal Operations
Purpose: To refocus and evolve internally to address new concepts, policies and trends in libraries, higher education and technology which allows the library to become a more flexible and adaptive organization over time.
- Evaluate Annual Expenditures
- Refocus Collection Development
- Revise, Create and Adapt General Policies & Guidelines
- Evaluate and Revise Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and Implement Archival/Repository Program
Focus 02: Reference & Instruction
Purpose: To develop a focused instruction program that will offer our services and expertise to the campus community and promote professionalism, lifelong learning and digital literacy.
- Create a New Instruction Program
- Adopt the ICT Digital Literacy Standards
- Revise & Improve Reference Services
Focus 03: Student Work Study Program
Purpose: To create a learning-centered work study program that imbues our students with essential skills, understanding, confidence and the proper professional etiquette that will help make them successful in their future careers.
- Digitize Student Employee Resources & Communication
- Develop a Learning Centered Experience
- Continue to Fine Tune the New Policies and Program
Focus 04: Instructor Support Services
Purpose: To develop and market an effective program of evolving services that supports instructors in their courses.
- Establish a Program for Course Guide Creation
- Continue to Develop Library Resource-Driven Course Content
- Offer Software/Technology Support & Training
Focus 05: Assessment & Data Collection
Purpose: To build a program that will allow us to assess progress and problems in our services as well as provide direction for future services and ideas.
- Establish Policies for Statistical Data Collection from Specified Areas
- Identify a Process for Assessment of Statistical Data
- Regular Cost/Benefit Analysis
Focus 06: Outreach & Engagement
Purpose: To establish partnerships with individuals, departments, campus organizations and other Siouxland groups that will allow us to offer unique local resources, services and networks to our college community.
- Continual Development of Event Programming
- Expand Campus Outreach
- Grow Organizational Partnerships Around the Siouxland Community