2017 HJF FanFiction Writing Contest
Are you a super fan of a particular show, movie, book, or character? Do you spend your time wondering what would it be like if only the story unfolded like this? Well, if you are like the rest of us, then its time to write it down and submit your short story for a chance to win a $200 gift card!
- Write a short story, flash story, micro story, or whatever kind of story you want that is between 500 and 2,000 words.
- The story must be a fanfiction piece which means it must contain characters from or exist in an already established setting, universe, or story line by another published author, television series, video game, or movie.
- This story must be complete. Judges will not be reading additional content in order to gain context to your story so make sure the story has a beginning and an end. Your story must be able to stand on its own.
- Your story must be original, unpublished, and your own work. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Authors retain all rights to their work.
- Judges will be looking for unique, creative and compelling stories that are fanfiction, within the word limit, are a finished product (have been edited for grammar and syntax), and are engaging to people who are familiar with the original work as well as those who are not.
- Judges will be looking for the best three (3) stories to select for presentation at the Friday is Writing Day event on April 7th. In order to win, authors must appear and present a section of their story to the judges and audience as well as take questions and provide discussion. From those three, one winner will be chosen to win a $200 gift card. The two runners up will each get a $25 gift card.
- This contest is open to current Morningside College students only.
- All stories must be submitted in a Microsoft Word document.
- Do NOT put your name in the Word document. We wish the stories to remain anonymous for the judges.
- Make sure the title of your story is clearly visible at the top of the document before your story begins.
- Use easy to read font, preferably Times New Roman or Calibri, at a standard 11-12 point font size. Margins should be between 1-1.5 inches. Pages must be numbered in the header or footer.
- All fields on the submission form must be completed.
- One entry per person. No group submissions.
- Submission deadline is March 31st.